Friday, May 30, 2014

Good News vs Bad News Part II

Fatin. Yep. She is one of my biggest worries right now. Remember my post about her headaches the other day? My mom took her to the hospital the day I went back to KK last week. So the good news was, it's not cancer. Bad news was, it's brain virus infection. I don't know how serious her situation is or if it's contagious or not, because I wasn't with her every time my mom took her to the doctor (she had been to the hospital for this reason twice so far). I'm not even sure if she had been diagnosed or not. I did some reading, and I found that acute brain infection is not very contagious, whatever that means.

I quote, "Unlike the flu or the common cold, which can be transmitted by casual contact or by simply breathing the air in the same room with an infected person, most of the bacteria causing meningitis are not very contagious. It would take the exchange of respiratory and throat secretions, from coughing, sneezing, or kissing, to spread the bacteria. The only exception is meningococcal meningitis. Anyone in the same household, or who had a prolonged contact, or was in direct contact with a person's oral secretions would be considered at increased risk of contracting the infection. People who have been exposed in this manner should receive preventive antibiotics." Click here for the full article.

The doctor gave her many medicines, which I've never seen in my life before, but I don't think the doctor gave her any antibiotics. So... I shouldn't worry about it being contagious yet, right? But I'm still so worried about her. I don't even know what to do. She still screams in her sleep. In fact, she's screaming right now. I hope she took her medications before she went to bed. She's supposed to take them before bedtime. What I'm worried about the most is, who would look after her when she's in Unisel? She's going back to her uni next Monday. I'm so worried. Her stubbornness is making me worried even worse. Sometimes I'm not even sure if she took all her medicines as advised by the doctor. Ada jak alasan dia. Ubat tu limited la, kena jimat2 makan, ubat tahan sakit nda boleh campur2 dengan yg lain lah, ubat ni makan bila perlu jak lah apa lah. I wish I was with her during her check-ups. When I asked mom, she only said, "Ok, tiada apa2 jugak. Doktor suruh Fatin makan ubat jak." The thing is, IS SHE TAKING HER MEDICINES???? If she is, then why the hell is she screaming in pain right now??? And btw, she lost 6 KG! Now losing weight because you're on diet is a good thing, but losing weight abruptly like this is not an occasion we should be celebrating. I quote again, "Unexplained weight loss or losing weight without trying - particularly if it's significant or persistent - can be a symptom of an underlying medical disorder." Click here for the full article.

Dad said, if it is really what it is, we shouldn't be surprised if one day an operation is required. He added that it is going be to very risky. It could either make Fatin paralyzed or be the cause of her... death.... It gives me chills whenever I think about it. I don't even want to imagine it. :( Maybe I'm just being paranoid, maybe I'm just overreacting like I usually do, maybe I'm just catastrophizing this situation, but tell me, shouldn't I be worried? Wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment